More than 1,000 Thanksgiving baskets distributed | Community Spirit
DENVER -- Volunteers of America distributed more than a thousand Thanksgiving baskets to low income families Monday morning at the VOA Mission in Denver.
Recipients had to pick up vouchers beforehand to exchange for the holiday baskets, with included a 15-20 pound frozen turkey, fresh fruit, sweet potatoes, and the traditional Thanksgiving side dishes.
Perhaps as a sign of the times, all 1,200 vouchers were picked up in person within six hours. In the past, it has taken a week to ten days for all of the vouchers to be claimed.
The annual Thanksgiving tradition was made possible through Volunteers of America thanks to a 24-year-long partnership with Holme Roberts & Owen, its employees, and their families.
Upcoming Events near Wheat Ridge
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- RAW VIDEO: SKYFOX shows firefighters battling condo fire
- Man found dead inside burning mobile home in Thornton
- Adams County man convicted of sexually assaulting 9-year-old family member
- Broncos pride runs deep in family trying to decide whether to go to big game
- Teen charged with first-degree murder in stabbing case
- Standley Lake High School student who set himself on fire dies
- FBI: Wells Fargo robbers took more than half-million in 2 minutes
- FBI to hold news conference on ‘violent’ Wells Fargo bank robbery
- Coyotes put Westminster neighborhood ‘under siege’
- Standley Lake HS closed Tuesday after student lights self on fire